April 25th, 2017

Pool chemicals are corrosives, like sodium bisulfate, and oxidizers, like calcium hypochlorite, that are put into the pool to control algae growth. These chemicals are very dangerous and injure nearly 5,000 people yearly.

It’s important to use proper personal protective equipment, like gloves and safety glasses, when handling the material. The chemicals, solid or liquid, can cause chemical burns and must not be ingested in any quantities. If you inadvertently touch pool chemicals with you hands, ensure to wash them immediately with soap and water.

Solids should always be handled with dry gloves or tools. Getting the material wet can make it unstable, unusable, and make the whole batch solidify.

No other materials should be mixed with chlorine and other oxidizer. Oxidizers can cause organic material to combust without an ignition, therefore are a major fire risk. When storing pool chemicals they should be kept separate from paint, thinners, gasoline, and any other flammable material.

Pool chemicals should be used or disposed of within a year of purchase. Make sure you buy only what you need. These chemicals can break down and off gas dangerous gases like chlorine if left to long. If exposed to these fumes can cause acute damage.

When transporting pool chemicals make sure they are in a closed container and kept separate from any flammable materials. Ensure that the material is labeled as there are several different kinds of pool chemicals and the information on the chemical constituents are important to the technicians that have to properly dispose of the material.

Please read this material from the EPA on the safe storage and handling of swimming pool chemicals:

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2013-11/documents/spalert.pdf

1. “Pool chemicals injure nearly 5,000 yearly” Fox News, May 16th, 2014 http://www.foxnews.com/health/2014/05/16/pool-chemicals-injure-nearly-5000-yearly.html